You’ve heard the saying “a man is only as good as his tools” and your pitch is a tool you will use time and time again in your job search. You’ll use it:
- As an introduction during networking events (mostly business, but some personal as well);
- As the first response to a favorite interview question: “tell me about yourself”;
- An intro when you first speak on the phone with someone.
Because your networking pitch can “grab” someone’s attention and really make that strong first impression, make sure you do the following:
- type it out until it’s exactly what you want to say in the words you want to use;
- make sure your pitch proves how you can “ease the pain” of your employer;
- time yourself and ensure you can say it in about 20 seconds;
- practice it about 20 – 30 times before saying it to your dream employer. You should be so well rehearsed that someone can shake you out of a dead sleep at 3:00 AM and you’ll still say it flawlessly!
Read more tips about how to fine tune this very critical skill. It’s well worth your time and effort!