For those job seekers out there who have yet to use LinkedIn, you are missing out on a tremendous amount of information that could be at your fingertips (literally). Every minute, someone new joins LinkedIn and last I checked there were about 38 MILLION people that have their profiles there. It’s a no-brainer. You must be there. So, here are 3 steps you need to take to get started.
First Step/First Day:
- Go to www.LinkedIn.com and create an account
- Download your picture into your account
- Use a thumbnail sketch of your resume to include all of your most pertinent information: current/or past employers, educational information, interests, etc.
- Think of 2 or 3 individuals who could write a very strong recommendation for you (you’ll do this later, but think of who they could be now)
- Think of 10 – 20 people that you’d like to Link into. These could be people from past jobs, people that reported to you & that you reported to. Peers, etc. Just think about who they would be and put them on a list.
Second Step/Second Day:
- Join 3 or 4 “groups” that you have an interest in. Right off the bat, join the alumni associations of any colleges/universities you attended, and alumni associations of any past employers. That alone will connect you with thousands of individuals.
- Connect to those 10 – 20 people you wrote down on your list. Include those you knew well and those you didn’t know that well. Believe me – people want to connect with as many people as possible.
Third Step/Third Day:
- As you start to link in to others, try conducting searches by the companies that your contacts work for. You never know where people land.
- Think of another 10 – 20 more people that you know and connect to them – 5 people a day.
- Join another 3 – 4 networking groups and read the topics that are listed in the summary emails you receive from the groups. Participate in tele-classes that are of interest to you. There are many groups for job seekers, and many free tele-classes that give information about how to conduct a proactive job search.
So, one step per day will get you to full Linked-In usage in just 3 days! Go for it – it’s an amazing tool.